RAMM cares for wonderful and diverse collections consisting of over one million individual objects and specimens from all over the globe. They are divided into the following curatorial departments
- antiquities – including local and overseas archaeology and local history.
- costume and textiles – including clothing, jewellery, accessories, lace and embroidery
- decorative art – including ceramics, glass, clocks and silver
- world cultures (ethnography)
- fine art – including drawings, paintings, prints photographs and, sculptures
- natural sciences – including botany, geology and zoology
- numismatics – including coins, tokens and medals
- social history – including toys, games, armour, firearms and items relating to the home and to industry
The collections contain items of local, national and international importance, and many are of outstanding historical or cultural significance.