When the Armistice was signed in 1918 to end the First World War the German army was required to forfeit much of its military equipment. Huge numbers of items were collected by the War Trophies Commission in London and distributed to museums and institutions across England. Clubs like this were used in hand-to-hand combat, most commonly by troops invading enemy trenches. It is made from a single piece of wood with a carefully turned handle with a good grip. The club has iron boot studs driven into it, and a piece of lead inserted into the end to provide extra weight and force.
This object is not on display.