This portrait is thought to be of Dr John Andrew.
Dr John Andrew (about 1700-1772) was a local physician who took a specific interest in the benefits of smallpox inoculation. He reported that the practice was first carried out in Exeter in 1741, spreading to the rest of Devon the following year.
Initially smallpox inoculation was met with a significant degree of suspicion, and physicians who inoculated their patients could struggle to persuade them of the benefits. Andrew published a pamphlet in 1765 in which he sought to disprove some of the most common arguments against the practice.
This object is not on display.