Sir Edmund Elton set up a pottery in his estate at Clevedon Court in Somerset in 1879. This became the Sunflower Pottery. An employee, George Masters made the work to Elton’s designs and clay was dug from the estate. Elton had success with the Art Pottery market of the period and sold some pots through Tiffany’s in New York. He was happy to experiment with glazes such as gold lustre on his earthenware pots. On other pieces he used trailed slip to create a raised colourful decorative surface which was then glazed.
This object is not on display.