Born in Tokyo in 1911, David moved to St Ives with his parents, Bernard and Muriel Leach, in 1920. He helped with running the pottery in St Ives and also taught pottery in the 1930s at Dartington. Bernard Leach had set up a studio under the Elmhirsts at Dartington Hall. In 1934 David was trained at the Elmhirst’s expense at Stoke on Trent. He was based at Dartington from 1933 to 1937 then returned to St Ives
In 1955 David Leach set up his own pottery at Lowerdown, Bovey Tracey. Initially working in earthenware he moved to stoneware and porcelain after 1961. David Leach had a long and influential life; he was a very supportive craftsman and helped numerous trainees and apprentices, including his own sons.
In 2003 a retrospective exhibition was held at the Devon Guild in Bovey Tracey with a symposium at Dartington Hall and a publication, David Leach, A Biography by Emmanuel Cooper and catalogue by Kathy Niblett.
This small globular vase made in stoneware shows Leach’s foxglove motif highlighted with red slip dots.
This object is not on display.