A late 16th century stained glass panel that depicts the Bampfylde family crest. The text around the crest is in Latin and reads ‘Scutu Willi Bamfyld - filli heredis Walter Bamfild - Margarett uxoris eius - filie Nicholai Kerkehm’ which translates as ‘Shield of William Bampfylde - son and heir of Walter Bampfylde - Margaret his wife - daughter of Nicholas Kirkham’.
This panel is almost certainly one of a set that were installed in Bampfylde House, Exeter by Sir Richard Bampfylde, his son Sir Amias Bampfylde or even Sir Coplestone Warwick Bampfylde.
The Bampfyldes were an important Devon family who also owned Poltimore House just outside Exeter.
In 1934 the City Council purchased Bampfylde House and used it as a museum to display fine architectural fittings and furniture. Sadly the house was badly burnt by incendiary bombs in the blitz of 1942 and subsequently demolished. Very few of the contents and fittings of the house were salvaged and so it was exciting when this piece emerged at a sale in Pittsburgh, USA. The panel was donated to RAMM and its transport back to Exeter was funded by the Friends of RAMM and the Poltimore Estate Research Society.
This object is not on display.