In 1868 a Newton Abbot clay merchant called John Phillips took over a pottery at Abbotskerswell, initially making builders’ earthenware, firebricks and kitchen ware. However the pottery soon began to produce art ceramics and in 1877 the company donated sixteen pieces of terracotta to RAMM made under the name of Aller Vale Pottery. This teapot has a squirrel knop and painted decoration of branches and leaves on the outside, and a glazed interior.
Phillips started cottage art classes around Abbotskerswell to encourage local people to train and work for the pottery. He became a significant employer and trainer.
A visit from Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria, to the pottery in 1886 earned it the name of Royal Aller Vale Pottery.
in 1897 Phillips died and the pottery was taken over by Hexter Humpherson and Co. It was later merged with the Watcombe Pottery as the Royal Aller Vale and Watcombe Pottery. This was later shortened to the Royal Watcombe Pottery.
This object is not on display.