Brannam’s pottery was in Barnstaple, North Devon.
From 1881, the Litchdon Pottery was run by Charles Hubert Brannam and he became successful at producing Art Pottery. This included selling ceramics at Liberty’s London, taking advantage of the developing railway system to transport the wares from Devon. Queen Victoria’s patronage in 1885 earned the pottery a new name, Royal Barum Ware. Brannam’s best known decorators were James Dewdney and William Baron (who left Brannam’s in 1899 to set up his own pottery at Rolle Quay, Barnstaple). This vase was decorated by Baron.
Their designs used the sgraffito method of scraping away a top layer of slip to reveal another colour below. This lower layer might then be painted with another coloured slip before the porous earthenware pottery would fired and glazed to make it safe to hold water.
At the time these pots were considered daringly original with their stylistic references to Japanese, Persian and even Egyptian design. Themes such as fish and aquatic plants can be seen in the Art Pottery of the Martin Brothers and William De Morgan at this time, while birds and foliage were popular with William Morris.
This object is not on display.