Mary Tucker wore this Honiton lace veil (with dress 98/1963/1) for her marriage to Henry Ford on 6 December 1864. The machine-made net is embellished with Honiton lace sprigs and edging. Each corner has a large floral spray of stylised bell-shaped flowers. The wedding was a high profile occasion for Branscombe, the Tiverton Gazette called it a ‘festival’. The couple provided the poor of the village with ‘a beautiful dinner and tea’. the veil was probably made by her father’s firm.
John Tucker (1807-77) was one of the major lace dealers in East Devon during the mid-19th century. His daughters Louisa and her older sister Mary were accomplished lace-makers and designers. He employed about 280 people. Tucker’s lace was synonymous with good quality and workmanship and was awarded prize medals at international exhibitions. The firm closed when John died.
This object is on display at RAMM in the Making History gallery.