This specimen was donated by FL Mouldey of Christchurch who accumulated a large collection of material from all over the world, which he donated to Canterbury Museum in Christchurch on his death in 1914. Some of his collection was built up by the exchange of material and it is possible that this is how we acquired 8 moa bones from him in 1910. In the register this bone is recorded as ‘1004 Cut nodule. Such nodules are sometimes found enclosing Moa bones. Found in the Loess deposits of Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, New Zealand, at depths varying from 10 feet to 50 feet below the surface, most of the specimens being encased in marly concretions of Pleistocene Age’.