This is part of the collection of Harry Hems, an Exeter-based Victorian master woodworker and stone sculptor. He collected many pieces of medieval woodwork during his renovations of churches, but unfortunately did not record where he obtained them from. Today each piece is covered in a dark varnish but originally would have been painted in bright colours. Traces of these medieval pigments remain on many of the items in the Hems collection. This is an angel’s wing, and is very similar to another item in the collection which is possibly its pair (see 128/1937/Z15).