From 1871 the Watcombe Terracotta Clay Company in Torquay began to produce a wide range of pottery using their characteristic red clay. The designs were often based on classical shapes and themes. However they also produced everyday items, such as this pipe, which dates from about 1880.
The body of the Watcombe and Hele Cross terracotta was often left unglazed but sometimes it might be enhanced with small areas of blue enamel. This was made from the same pigments as glaze, but applied with a flux so that it fused with the surface at a lower temperature.