This seated Buddha is made of wood and decorated with gold pigment. The Buddha is seated in Vajrasana (meditation) with the right hand in Bhumisparsamudra (touching the earth). It is suggested that thayo has been used to create the stucco effect indicating the falling of the robe over the left shoulder. On the back of the sculpture there is a hollowed compartment, which is either for attachment or there for the use of inserting an offering or amulet.
An image of this Buddha was assessed by John Guy who indicated that it was really a generic model. The reason it has been included it in the report is because of the use of the thayo technique, and also because of the compartment. Although no provenance is known, the object was accessioned to the museum in 1929 by Miss G. Jackson of Dawlish. Therefore, the sculpture must pre-date the 1920’s.