This ampulla is decorated on both sides with images of an angel. It was made to deceive as it looks like a medieval ampulla but was actually made in Victorian London. It was made by two men called Billy and Charley, who in 1857 realised the popularity of historic objects and the money they could make from selling them. They set up their own workshop making objects to fool wealthy buyers. Despite being revealed as forgers they remained in business until 1870. It is thought they made and sold thousands of fakes which today are very easy to identify from the genuine article. This one was donated to the museum by someone who claimed it had been found in Topsham.