John Davies Enys (1837-1912) and Charles Enys (1840-1891) both left their family estate in Penryn, Cornwall to farm in New Zealand. In October 1864 they purchased Castle Hill Station in Canterbury. John was very knowledgeable in the fields of botany, zoology and entomology and several New Zealand plants and animals have been named in his honour. John was a member of the original board of trustees of Canterbury Museum and was great friends with Julius von Haast from whom RAMM also has a collection of moa bones. This moa bone was donated along with several others in May 1868. It is probable that John brought these bones home with him in 1867 but it is likely to have been his father or older brother who actually made the donation as John returned to New Zealand in January 1868. Both brothers returned to Cornwall when Charles became ill in 1891. The Enys estate is open to the public. The accessions register states that this femur was ‘Found in a stream or creek Rangatata valley Acland run found by sticking a pig spear into it 6 inches or so under ground’ .